That hinges on many factors. For example, a mattress that weighs above 230 pounds will influence its thickness (or profile). Today sold mattresses come in three groups of profiles:
- Low-profile beds with a thickness of fewer than 10 centimeters.
- The medium-profile is known to measure beds 10 to 12 inches thick.
- Beds over 12 inches in thickness are considered high-profile.
Types of Thickness
While the thickness of a mattress itself does not inherently decide a mattress's sensation, a higher mattress has more space for layers and materials which impact a bed's sensation. While, for example, a low-profile mattress must be sufficiently firm to avoid sleepers falling into the backrest core, the high-profile mattresses allow multiple comfort layers on top of the support core to provide a still comfortable soft mattress.
Therefore, most specialized mattresses intended for heavy sleepers have a medium or high profile to provide support and a distinctive feel. In other words, heavy sleepers prefer some firmer, low-profile mattresses. Here we have discussed all about best mattresses.
Characteristics of a Mattress for Heavy Sleepers
Mattress features can reinforce and stabilize a mattress that can accommodate sleepers weighing over 230 pounds evenly and comfortably. Some mattress brands add misleading descriptions to their models, which say that the beds provide "universal comfort." The truth is: each model of a mattress is made with materials, making the bed more suitable for various types of sleepers. Heavy sleepers should rely on the following attributes when selecting a new bed instead of marketing statements from mattress brands.
- Mattress Type: You could choose a memory mold or polyfoam mattress if you want closer body-conforming and pressure relief. All-latex beds are also decent, as are airbeds with adjustable firmness levels. If you want more protection and stability, hybrids and innerspring are better.
- Responsiveness: Reaction is one of the most significant considerations, whether this works for heavy sleepers: receptiveness, also referred to as the 'bounce,' of the mattress. Non-responsive colors, normally made of spam or polyfoam memory, appear to give a feeling that it is trapped in the color of an unnecessary sink. Responsive mattresses, often of a hybrid, latex, and interior design, make it easier to maneuver around the surface. This can be particularly important when it comes to sex.
- Contouring: Optimal contouring for any particular sleeper should be sufficiently close to relieving strain on the shoulders, back, and hip, without excessive sluggishness. Beds that adhere very tightly are often without strong support so that sleepers can sink over £230 uncomfortably, normally a good compromise.
- Mattress Thickness: The medium or high-profile mattresses tend to accommodate heavy sleepers better. Shorter beds may fall too far under the middle of the sleeper and cause an unpleasant sinking feeling. However, beds larger than 12 inches typically feel soft to medium due to their supplementary padding layers and may not be sufficiently supportive.
- Materials of Quality: All-foam mattresses of medium or high-density comfort layers are less essential for heavy people than versions of low density. The same applies to organic and natural latex compared to mixed and synthetic latex. Thick spindle systems in hybrids and inwards are also important, particularly on the edges, for overall stability and longevity.
- Firmness Level: Beds that provide the greatest contouring and help compromise typically have medium to extra-firm feelings for sleepers that weigh more than 230 pounds. Softer beds, which appear to fall too often in heavy individuals, while often suitable for persons weighing less than 230 pounds.
- Pressure Relief: Heavy sleepers appear to feel an accumulation of pressure on elbows, hips, and other areas of the body on the mattress. The relaxation of pressure is somewhat connected to the position of sleep. Side sleepers also feel a greater pressure as the back or stomach sleep is not aligned with this location naturally.